Please read this review if you have been, have not been, or are currently being treated by Dr. Stanley Masaki. Speaking on behalf of my boyfriend who got his braces removed the other day after 3 and a half years (that is WAY more than average), Dr. Stanley Masaki should not have made orthodontics his trade.
First of all, I told my boyfriend not even a year into his treatment that he should stop seeing Dr. Stanley Masaki and start seeing mine instead. He and his wife are CHEAP, (very very) UNSANITARY, ARROGANT, and just too old to be in the game anymore or even to begin with honestly. Let me tell you why:
1) They charge $45 for any late cancellations. (I mean I guess they have that right but $45 seriously??) Once, my boyfriend called them and said he was going to be a little late but INSTEAD, Mrs. Masaki told him to reschedule and that he needed to pay a $45 fee. Um what?????
2) He does not change elastic ties/chains for months on end even if you ask! (This is really GROSS because whenever I got mine changed every month, the old elastics would have some kind of debris surrounding them. Also the elastics were pretty weak and flimsy by that point so imagine them being on your brackets for 6 months rather than 1-2!! I, myself, brought this to their attention and all they said was “oh other doctors are different, we don’t do that. But we can replace them next time he comes in” so yeah, it takes a concerned girlfriend to finally get them to do what you want because my boyfriend literally asked them about it every visit and still did not get new elastics)
3) The brackets he uses look old and used. 4) He does not have a wide selection of elastic colors like most orthodontists. Majority of the time, he does not even ask you and just puts on white or clear elastics, and let me tell you, your teeth will look yellow by the time you have a meal with ANY kind of coloring in it.
5) Ok so this one grossed me out big time. My boyfriend’s brother is also currently getting treatment from Dr. Stanley Masaki and about 2 months ago, Dr. Stanley Masaki dropped one of his wires onto the floor. They made him step out to LOOK FOR THE WIRE TO PUT BACK INTO HIS MOUTH. Mrs. Masaki even used a broom to sweep everything off the ground but thankfully for his sake, they did not find it.
6) He keeps a tray of his tools inside of a sink that seems like he just rinses them with water. (When ever my boyfriend would go in after his brother, he used the same tools in the same place that were there only seconds before)
7) He sees progress where it is nowhere to be found. (My boyfriend finally decided to schedule an appt with my Ortho instead when Dr. Stanley Masaki told him he was ready to get his braces removed even though he countlessly expressed concern about his front 2 teeth being a little crooked and one of his fangs being lower than the rest of his teeth, which is still the case)
8) He only issues permanent retainers and knows nothing about clear, plastic retainers. (Permanent retainers have way more cons than pros which you could probably google so I’ll just say that. I’m not completely sure about it but I believe Dr. Masaki uses permanent retention because it doesn’t cost as much, as it is only a wire that needs to be glued to the back of your teeth for the rest of your life.
My boyfriend told Dr. how he is seeking treatment elsewhere and does not want permanent retainers so Dr. made him very white-clear, jagged, and odd looking plastic retainers, which is currently giving him really bad blisters on his tongue. My guess is these are the first pair of plastic retainers he’s ever made in his life.) So yeah, please think twice about recommending, starting, or continuing treatment with Dr. Stanley Masaki. Was not worth the 3 and a half years and $5000+ my boyfriend paid for.